Terms of Reference - Subject to the Scheme of Delegation
The following represents an illustrative summary, for the benefit of the members, of the more notable duties, functions and powers of the ITA that are delegated to the ITA Executive Board. This summary is not an exhausitve list.
Statutory Duties Of The ITA Which May Be Delegated
- To formulate general policies for the PTE to action:-
- to procure any public transport service requirements in West Yorkshire which would not otherwise be met; and
- where it would be appropriate, to take any action to promote the availability of transport services and the convenience of the public.
The Authority shall have regard to the advice of the PTE in respect of such policies and shall be bound to consider the requirements of the elderly and the disabled.
- To develop policies for the promotion and encouragement of safe, integrated and economic transport facilities and services to, from and within West Yorkshire, to meet the needs of people living and working within it, pedestrians and the movement of freight. In so doing, to have regard to Government Policy and Guidelines in respect of adaptation to and mitigation of climate change or improvement of the environment.
- In relation to any expenditure on passenger transport, in the interests of the ratepayers of West Yorkshire, to secure the best value for money from their expenditure as a whole. In relation to subsidised transport services, to have regard to economy, efficiency and effectiveness, and the reduction of or limitation of traffic congestion, noise and air pollution.
- To prepare and publish the Local Transport Plan in consultation with all appropriate authorities and bodies in accordance with guidance.
- To prepare an annual report, together with the PTE, on the expenditure and performance of the ITA.
Significant Functions Of The ITA Which May Be Delegated
- To approve any change to the basic level of charging for transport services or to the terms of any concessionary scheme.
- To approve any substantial capital expenditure by the PTE.
- To approve any substantial amendment to rail franchise agreements.
- To direct the PTE to take appropriate steps to reorganise its functions to be most efficient or to approve any such proposal by the PTE.
Significant Powers Of The ITA Which May Be Delegated
- Andrew Carter
- Yvonne Crewe
- Ryk Downes
- Eric Firth
- David Hardy
- Imran Khan
- James Lewis (Chair)
- Mick Lyons
- Liz Smaje
District Council Portfolio Holders: Councillors Val Slater (Bradford), Barry Collins (Calderdale), Peter McBride (Kirklees), Richard Lewis (Leeds) and Denise Jeffery (Wakefield)
City of York Council Representative: Councillor Dave Merritt
LEP representative: Roger Marsh
Link to Agendas and Minutes